White Bean Dip
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 2 -15 ounce can great Northern or cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- ½ cup canned chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh marjoram or ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- ½ teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary or ⅛ teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Olive oil (optional)
- Fresh marjoram leaves and rosemary (optional)
- Home-Baked Pita Chips (see recipe, below; optional)
- In a 1-1/2-quart slow cooker combine great Northern beans, broth, the 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, the 1 teaspoon snipped marjoram, ½ teaspoon snipped rosemary, and the pepper.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Slightly mash bean mixture using a potato masher. Spoon bean mixture into a serving bowl. Drizzle with additional olive oil and sprinkle with additional fresh marjoram and rosemary; serve either warm or at room temperature with Pita chips or crusty bread, if desired. Makes 20 (2-tablespoon) servings.