I love DIY recipes, and I currently have an abundance of tomatoes coming from my garden. Now is the perfect time to make your own pasta sauce in the slow cooker!
Homemade Slow Cooked Pasta Sauce
Yield 6 meal size portions
- 5-6 Large Fresh diced tomatoes or 1 - 28 ounce can whole Italian-style tomatoes, cut up and undrained
- 2 large carrots, coarsely chopped (2 cups)
- 3 stalks celery, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 large green sweet pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 - 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 ounces dried pasta, cooked and drained
- For sauce, in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine undrained tomatoes, carrots, celery, onion, sweet pepper, tomato paste, water, garlic, sugar, Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper, and bay leaf.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove bay leaf; discard. Toss sauce with hot pasta, or store in air tight containers in the fridge or freezer when cooled.
Keeps 1 week in the fridge or 3-4 months in the freezer. ** Canning** You can also can your homemade sauce too.