Are you looking to add something a little different to your menu plan? Check out these slow cooked cabbage rolls. They are very easy to throw together and you end up with a savory and delicious dinner.
Slow Cooked Cabbage Rolls
- 1 large head cabbage
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking rice
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup crushed rice chex or crackers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 ounce onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (46 ounces) V8 juice
- Salt to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook cabbage in boiling water just until leaves fall off head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls; drain well. (Refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use.)
- Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, rice, green pepper, chex crumbs, egg and soup mix. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Place about 1/3 cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides, beginning from the cut end. Roll up completely to enclose filling. Secure with toothpicks if desired.
- Place cabbage rolls in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Pour V8 juice over rolls. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until filling reaches 160°.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with salt and cheese if desired.