I love this recipe because I am all for taking short cuts! This recipe is a dump and go. Now, the chicken will fall apart if you do not brown it first. My family is ok with that. If you have picky eaters that are particular about texture you may want to brown the chicken first. It keeps the boneless pieces together more like little nuggets. I like to buy my chicken in bulk, Cut it into bite sized pieces, and brown. Then, pop it into freezer bags for quick meals like this. When you prep the chicken for 4-5 meals at once it really makes it easy to throw together those weeknight meals!
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
This easy supper is a great easy alternative to plain ole spaghetti.
- 1/4 cup Italian Dressing
- 2 lb diced Boneless Skinless Chicken
- 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup each red and green pepper strips
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 4 cups hot cooked long-grain white rice or pasta
- HEAT dressing in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken, in batches; cook 2 to 3 min. on each side or until each piece is browned on both sides. (This is optional, you can just throw all ingredients in the crock pot)
- PLACE mushrooms, onions, peppers and garlic in slow cooker; top with chicken. Combine tomatoes, salt and thyme; pour over ingredients in slow cooker. Cover with lid.
- Cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours (or on HIGH 5 hours).
- SERVE chicken mixture over rice or pasta