Great date night dinner. This Crock Pot Paella is simple to throw together and full of rich savory flavors. It’s a hit everytime.
Slow Cooker Paella
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked converted long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14 oz) chicken broth
- 1/2 pound andouille or Spanish sausage, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed saffron or 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 lb)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas (from 1-lb bag), thawed*
- 6 oz deveined shelled cooked medium shrimp, tail shells removed
- Brown sausage and onion in skillet over medium heat.
- In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, mix rice and oil. Stir in tomatoes, broth, sausage, water, salt, saffron and garlic. Arrange chicken thighs in single layer over rice mixture. Sprinkle paprika over top.
- Cover; cook on Low setting 5 to 6 hours.
- About 35 minutes before serving, sprinkle thawed peas over chicken mixture. Arrange shrimp over top.
- Increase heat setting to High; cover and cook 20 to 30 minutes longer or until shrimp are thoroughly heated.