With Summer Squash hitting the produce department, check out this great squash casserole recipe!
Yield 6 -8
- 2 lbs. yellow squash, or zucchini, cut into bite size pieces (around 6 cups)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup flour (or gluten free all purpose flour mix)
- 8-10 oz. bread crumbs (or crushed rice chex)
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Combine onion, squash, shredded carrots, and soup in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix sour cream and flour together. Then spoon into veggie bowl and mix all together.
- Melt stick of butter, and toss bread crumbs with butter. Add dry seasoning to bread crumb/butter mixture and toss, so that crumbs get seasoning on them.
- Spray crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Put half of the bread crumbs on the bottom of the crock pot, then put squash mixture on top of the crumbs. Put remaining bread crumbs on top on squash mixture.
- Cover, and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or until squash is cooked.
**Gluten free** use rice chex and gluten free all purpose flour mix. Substitute a can of gluten free cream of chicken soup.
Courses Side Dish