Black Eyed Pea Soup (Crockpot)
Servings: 8 -12
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
- 1 ham bone with some meat
- 1 lb sliced Italian sausage cooked
- 2 diced onions
- 2 cups diced or sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 6 cloves garlic I used 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 6 – 8 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
Soak your beans overnight. Drain and pick out the undesirables (i.e., discolored beans) in the morning.
Use a 5- to 6- quart crockpot. (I used my 6-quart oval programmable crockpot.)
Dice the veggies, and add them to the crockpot with the black-eyed peas that have been soaked and drained.
Pour in broth, and stir in Italian seasoning and salt.
Add ham bone. You can also add the sausage at this point.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for about 6.
About a half hour to an hour before serving,remove one cup of beans and puree with blender and return to slow cooker. Stir after pureeing.
This will thicken the soup.