Bacon Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 4 bacon strips chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 medium red potatoes cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 cans 14-1/2 ounces each beef broth
- 1 can 14-1/2 ounces diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1 jar 12 ounces home-style beef gravy
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Mashed potatoes optional
In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, cook beef until meat is no longer pink; drain.
In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the potatoes, carrots, corn and barley. Top with beef mixture and bacon.
Combine the broth, tomatoes, gravy and pepper; pour over top (do not stir).
Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir before serving. Serve over mashed potatoes if desired.