Here is a great reader submitted recipe. Thanks Jennifer Benavides of Huntsville, Alabama!
Crock Pot Chili VerdePrint Recipe
- 2.5 lb pork shoulder roast cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 lbs tomatillos
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 tablespoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Cut pork roast into ½ inch cubes.
- Heat the oil over medium high in a large skillet. Add the pork once the oil is hot enough that it sizzles when you add a piece of meat.
- Brown the pork pieces for 4-5 minutes and remove the pork from the pan with a slotted spoon and place in crockpot.
- Add the onions and garlic to the oil and pork drippings and sauté for 7-10 min or until the onions start to brown. Turn the heat down a bit and add the cumin, paprika and black pepper to the onions and garlic and mix well (it will be kind of pasty).
- Add the chicken broth to the onion mixture and mix well, making sure to scrape all the goodness off the bottom of the pan and pour over pork in crockpot.
- Peel and wash the tomatillos. Dry them well and in the large skillet over medium heat char them along with the jalapeno turning often, until the skins start to blacken (about 10 minutes).
- Place the charred tomatillos, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice into a food processer or blender and blend until smooth.
- Add to the pork mixture and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours or until the pork is fall apart tender.
- The sauce will reduce down and become thicker over the course of the cooking process. Serve with sliced avocado and cilantro for garnish.
Servings: 6 -8