CrockPot Au Gratin Potatoes
Side dishes are the under-appreciated course of a meal. I think we take them for granted, and push them to the side of our main course.Well tonight the star of the show, and the crockpot, was these Au Gratin Potatoes. Sure I could have opened a box of Au Gratin Potato Mix, but it would not have tasted nearly this good, or made my house smell near as savory! Plus, if you are in a hurry or don’t want to heat the house up, these bad boys can cook in the crockpot instead of the oven! How cool is that!?
Here is my recipe! To print just click check box next to the recipe and the printable list feature will pop up in the bottom right corner.
Crockpot Au Gratin PotatoesPrint Recipe
- 4 Russet Potatoes Sliced into 1/4 slices
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons Flour I used Rice flour
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Preheat Crockpot on High or Oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter a 2 quart Casserole dish for oven baking or if small enough to fit in crockpot. Otherwise, use the crockpot crock.
- Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle Salt, Pepper, and onion powder and top with remaining potatoes. Season with salt & pepper again.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and 1/2 tsp salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened.
- Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted (about 30 to 60 seconds. ) Pour cheese over the potatoes.
- Place casserole dish in crockpot or oven. Or place lid on crockpot.
- Bake in crockpot on high for 3 hours or Bake covered for 1 1/2 hours at 400 degrees in oven.
Use your food processor to slice the potatoes. This make this super easy and much faster! Seriously less than 30 seconds and the potatoes were perfectly sliced.
You can place a smaller casserole dish inside of your crockpot. If you are making a smaller dish your item will cook faster and more evenly in a casserole to fit the recipe.
This recipe is gluten free if you use rice flour or corn starch instead of the flour to thicken the sauce.
Great recipe! Made it the other day but modified slightly. Doubled the recipe & also added…1 can of Cheddar Cheese Soup &1 TBSP of dried chopped onion. Also, instead of all shredded cheddar cheese, I used 2 cups cheddar & 2 cups colby jack. Baked for almost 2 hrs…AMAZING!