I love Lasagna! Here is a great vegetarian version.
Veggie Crockpot Lasagna
Recipe type: Dinner
This is one of my weaknesses! Love Lasagna…especially in the crockpot!
- 1 5-ounce package baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 3 large or 4 small portobello mushroom caps, gills removed (see Tip), halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp fresh minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) Italian-style tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 container (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 15 uncooked lasagna noodles
- Combine ricotta, spinach, mushrooms and zucchini in a large bowl.
- Combine Tomato sauce, garlic and onion in a medium bowl.
- Generously coat a 6-quart or larger slow cooker with cooking spray. Spread 1½ cups of the tomato mixture in the slow cooker. Arrange 5 noodles over the sauce, overlapping them slightly and breaking into pieces to cover as much of the sauce as possible. Spread half of the ricotta-vegetable mixture over the noodles and firmly pat down, then spoon on 1½ cups sauce and sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella.
- Repeat the layering one more time, starting with noodles. Top with a third layer of noodles.
- Evenly spread the remaining tomato sauce over the noodles. Set aside the remaining 1 cup mozzarella in the refrigerator.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on High for 2 hours or on Low for 4 hours. Turn off the slow cooker, sprinkle the reserved mozzarella on the lasagna, cover and let stand for 10 minutes to melt the cheese.
This can be made with gluten free lasagna noodles.