Slow Cooker Taco Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
A fun family-friendly meal idea that is quick and easy to make. Try this Slow Cooker Taco Tater Tot Casserole Recipe! for dinner tonight!
Making a healthy affordable dinner that the entire family will love can be challenging. Mix up taco Tuesday with this fun and tasty Slow Cooker Taco Tater Tot Casserole Recipe. So simple to throw in your crockpot and have dinner ready when you are.
To make this easy recipe you will need.
- Ground Beef
- Canned Black Beans
- Taco Seasoning
- Frozen Tater Tots
I also recommend a 4qt or larger crockpot for this recipe. I actually prefer it in my 6-quart slow cooker.
Start out by browning your ground beef and onion on the stovetop. Once browned drain off the fat and return it to the skillet.
Stir in the taco seasoning, salsa, and black beans.
Now comes the layering. In the bottom of your crockpot place a single layer of tater tots.
Spread the meat mixture over them and then top with more tater tots. Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
30 minutes before your casserole is done add the shredded cheese on top, cover, and cook the last 30 minutes.
When done top with chopped cilantro, more cheese, sour cream, guacamole; whatever taco toppings your family loves.
This recipe is naturally gluten-free. Please double-check all of your ingredients to ensure that they are gluten-free.
Place any uneaten casserole in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. This can also be frozen and reheated.
Don’t have time for the crockpot? Make this in a 13×9 casserole dish and bake it at 400 degrees for about 25-30 minutes or until tater tots are brown.
Crockpot Taco Tater Tot Casserole
- 2 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 15 oz Black Beans canned, drained
- 16 oz salsa jarred or fresh
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning or 1 packet
- 32 oz frozen tater tots
- 1 cup shredded fiesta blend cheese or cheddar
- Cilantro for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef and onion until the beef has browned and crumbled. Drain well and return to the skillet.
- To the meat, add the black beans, salsa, and taco seasoning, stirring well.
- Spread half of the tater tots onto the bottom of the slow cooker liner. Then, add the ground beef mixture followed by another layer of tater tots.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
- With 30 minutes cooking time remaining, add the cheese over the tater tots.
- Prior to serving, top with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with sour cream, guacamole, and salsa if desired.