Crockpot Beef Tips & Gravy Recipe
An easy slow cooker dinner recipe that is easy to customize to your families needs. Try this delicious Crockpot Beef Tips & Gravy Recipe tonight!
A hearty savory dinner is served with only minutes in the kitchen. This easy to make Crockpot Beef Tips & Gravy is the perfect end to the day. Toss everything in the crockpot and in 6-8 hours you are ready to eat! Recipes like this are perfect for a busy day when you just don’t have time to cook. Pull out your crockpot and give this one a try!
Low Carb Option
Because I know low carb recipes and keto recipes are so important to many people right now trying to eat better in the new year, I wanted to share that this recipe is easily changed up to make it low carb friendly. Just substitute Almond Flour for the flour in the recipe below. Every other ingredient is low carb friendly. The final dish is perfect served over some Cauliflower Rice or cauliflower mashed potatoes with some veggies!
How to Make
This recipe does call for browning the beef tips in a skillet first. I know a lot of people don’t like dirtying a skillet for a crockpot meal, and I totally get it. The point of browning the beef first is for a better texture in the finished dish. You are free to skip that step if you would like.
Once the beef tips are browned toss them into a 5 quart or larger crockpot and in the remaining ingredients and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours. That is it!
Serve these Crockpot Beef Tips & Gravy over rice, mashed potatoes, or just some noodles.
- When the dish is finished slow cooking, you can add some cornstarch or other thickener to the crockpot to thicken your gravy. Just remove the lid and turn the crockpot up to high stirring occasionally until thickened.
- Gluten Free – To make this gluten free just substitute gluten free flour and double check your other ingredients to make sure they are gluten free as well.
- Can I cook on high? This recipe is written to cook on low for 6-8 hours because it really helps to tenderize the meat. If you choose you could cook this on high for 3-4 hours, however, your beef tips may come out a bit tougher.
Crockpot Beef Tips & Gravy Recipe
- 2 to 3 pounds beef tips or stew meat
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour or gluten free flour
- 3 tablespoons butter or dairy free alternative
- 1 onion diced
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- ½ cup pepperoncini peppers drained (if desired for extra spice)
- In a large plastic bag, place the beef tips and flour. Close the bag and shake to coat the meat.
- In a heavy skillet, melt butter. In batches, brown the meat on all sides. As the meat is seared, transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add about 1 cup of the beef broth to the skillet and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon to deglaze the pan. Pour the broth over the meat in the slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- If a gravy is desired, remove about 1 cup of the liquid from the slow cooker. Mix together with 1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch and return to slow cooker, stirring to combine. Cook an additional 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until thickened.
- Remove pepperoncini peppers (if used) prior to serving. Serve over rice, mashed potatoes/cauliflower, buttered noodles, or alone.
I totally loved this recipe. Thanks for suggesting the healthier alternatives. It helped me put other relatives into consideration during family dinners.
Thanks for this amazing recipe. It was quite helpful. Can I use this recipe for maybe chicken?