I bet you didn't know that you can bake bread in a crock pot. It is very easy, and totally doable, and totally flexible. You could use a frozen bread dough, homemade bread dough, make rolls, or make a loaf. You are going to want to line your crockpot with parchment paper and use an amount of dough that is proportionate to your crockpot.
We are getting ready for a move, so my smaller crockpot is packed. I used my large crockpot for this recipe, and the bread turned out a little flatter than I would have liked, but still tasted amazing!
Give this a whirl, you will be surprised at how it turns out. Just remember...DON'T LIFT THE LID while it is baking! Doing so releases the moisture/heat and increases baking times by around 20 minutes each time.
- 1 tablespoon 1 packet yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup hot water (not boiling)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Add yeast, sugar, salt, and flour to a food processor fitted with a blade attachment. Process on low for 1 minute.
- Slowly add water, then oil, and process until dough is no longer sticking to sides, and forms a ball.
- Remove dough, form into ball.
- Place in greased bowl and cover with a towel.
- Allow dough to rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Line 4 qt. crockpot with parchment paper.
- Place dough on parchment paper, cover, and cook on low for 1 1/2 - 2 hours
- Each crockpot varies, so watch it through the lid.It will be pale when it is done, and the outside will be slightly stiff, not hard and crusty.
- To achieve a darken/crisp crust, put the loaf on a baking sheet or stone and put in the oven under the broiler for about 5 minutes. (Watch carefully)
- Let cool completely, and slice!