Here is a great recipe for the crockpot any night of the week. I love it because it is a versatile main dish that can be served with greens, rice, pasta, or potatoes. YUM!
Lemon Garlic Chicken - Slow Cooked
Recipe type: dinner
- 4-5 lb whole roasting chicken
For the seasoning rub:
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves stripped and minced
For the cooking liquid:
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated, but left in their skins
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes or 1 teaspoon bouillon paste, divided (optional for richer flavor)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 2 sprigs rosemary
For the gravy:
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour or corn starch
- Remove the bag of gizzards and discard (or reserve for stock). Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
- Mix all the seasoning ingredients together in a bowl. Rub the entire chicken with seasonings, including under the skin. Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker, breast-side up.
- Squeeze and reserve the juice from one of the lemons. Stuff the rinds into the cavity of the chicken along with one whole bouillon cube and a few garlic cloves. Crumble the other bouillon cube over the chicken and rub it into the skin.
- Arrange the remaining lemon quarters, the rest of garlic cloves, and the thyme around the chicken.
- Combine the reserved lemon juice, the soy sauce, and the broth, and pour it over the chicken.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high heat for 4 to 5 hours. Thirty minutes or so before the time is done, add the rosemary sprigs.
- Remove chicken from the slow-cooker and allow it to rest on a baking sheet, tented with foil, for about 20 minutes. The wings and drumsticks may fall away as you lift the chicken; this is normal.
- While the chicken is resting, strain the cooking liquid into a sauce pan and bring to a rapid simmer.
- Scoop out a half cup of the liquid and whisk it with the flour in a separate bowl. Slowly pour the flour slurry back into the cooking liquid while whisking. Continue simmering and whisking until the gravy thickens. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve the chicken with gravy and whatever sides you choose.
Thanks to the Kitchn for recipe & img