Yes you read that right. Cake & caramel sauce in the crockpot and it is amazingly simple! It all started when I wanted cake for dessert but had a roast in the oven. What is a girl to do? Get out the crockpot of course. We are trying to eat lighter in my house so I was going to make an angel food cake, however a bundt pan doesn't fit in the crockpot.
I decided to put a can in the center to make the classic bundt shape. I may as well put a can of sweetened condensed milk in the middle and get some "dulce de leche" at the same time. So not only did I bake up this amazing cake, but I made this to die for caramel sauce at the same time. 2 Birds...One Stone! Gotta love it!
You can find more info on the crock pot caramel sauce here
If you aren't interested in the caramel sauce have yourself checked by a physician (Just kidding!) You can use any type of can in the center to hold the shape. If the shape isn't a big deal to you no can is necessary.
Crock Pot Pumpkin Angel Food Cake With Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp Pumpkin Pie spice
- 1 package 16 ounces angel food cake mix
- 1 Can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat Crockpot on high.
- Prepare the angel food cake mix according to package.
- In a separate bowl mix together pumpkin, spice, & vanilla.
- Fold pumpkin mix into angel food mix until well incorporated.
- Place clean paperless sweetened condensed milk can in the center of a 5 qt or larger crockpot. Spray the entire crockpot and can with baking spray to avoid sticking.
- Pour cake mix into crockpot around can, cover, and let cook on high for 2 hours.
- After two hours check cake with a toothpick to make sure it is cooked through, it should also be pulling away from the sides of the crockpot.
- Carefully remove the can and gently flip the cake out on to a baking rack to cool.
- Return the can and 2 cups of water to the crockpot for the caramel to continue to cook for 2 hours while the cake cools.
- When done remove the can and allow to cool. Carefully open to reveal the carmel. Serve with the cake.