This post may contain affiliate links.
I love DIY recipes, and I currently have an abundance of tomatoes coming from my garden. Now is the perfect time to make your own pasta sauce in the slow cooker!
Homemade Slow Cooked Pasta Sauce
- 5-6 Large Fresh diced tomatoes or 1 - 28 ounce can whole Italian-style tomatoes cut up and undrained
- 2 large carrots coarsely chopped (2 cups)
- 3 stalks celery sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large onion chopped (1 cup)
- 1 large green sweet pepper chopped (1 cup)
- 1 - 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 ounces dried pasta cooked and drained
For sauce, in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine undrained tomatoes, carrots, celery, onion, sweet pepper, tomato paste, water, garlic, sugar, Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper, and bay leaf.
Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
Remove bay leaf; discard. Toss sauce with hot pasta, or store in air tight containers in the fridge or freezer when cooled.
Keeps 1 week in the fridge or 3-4 months in the freezer. ** Canning** You can also can your homemade sauce too.