A New Years Tradition. Check out this delicious and flavorful Crockpot Hoppin John Recipe. A tasty mix of black eyed peas, rice, and veggies.
Tradition is to enjoy some Black Eyed Peas for New Years to bring wealth and luck into the New Year! This Crockpot Hoppin John Recipe is full of flavor and a tasty way to stick with tradition! You can also try this simple Crockpot Black Eyed Pea Recipe too! Both are delicious!
To make this simple recipe you will need
- Black Eyed Peas
- Chicken Broth
- Ham Bone with ham
- Canned Diced Tomatoes with Chiies
- Bell Pepper
- Spice ( Bay Leaf, Thyme, Crushed Red Pepper, Salt)
This fits best in a 6 Quart or larger Crockpot or Slowcooker.
Place ham in a slow cooker and top with all other ingredients EXCEPT for the rice. Stir to combine.
This is a great use for the left over holiday ham. You can also pick up an extra ham while they are on sale for the holidays and put it in the freezer for a later meal.
Cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
Carefully remove the ham and shred it between two forks. Return the ham to the slow cooker and add the rice. Push the rice below the liquid line to make sure it cooks.
Cover and continue cooking for an additional 2 hours on high or until the rice is tender.
This recipe is naturally gluten free. As always please double check all of your ingredients to ensure they are gluten free
Tips for Rice
Cooking the rice too long in the slow cooker will make it mushy. If you cannot add the rice 2 hours prior to serving, reduce the chicken broth to 2 cups and cook the rice according to package directions, stirring in just before serving.
Store any uneaten Hoppin John in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Crockpot Hoppin John Recipe
- 1 ham bone, with meat or about 3 cups leftover ham meat
- 28 oz frozen black eyed peas
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes according to your tastes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 15 oz diced tomatoes with green chilies canned
- 3 cups rice uncooked
- Place ham in a slow cooker and top with all other ingredients EXCEPT for the rice. Stir to combine.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours.
- Carefully remove the ham and shred it between two forks. Return the ham to the slow cooker and add the rice. Push the rice below the liquid line to make sure it cooks.
- Cover and continue cooking for an additional 2 hours on high or until the rice is tender.
- Prior to serving, stir and remove the bay leaves.