During the Spring and Summer we do a lot of grilling. Heck, we really do a lot of grilling year round since we are in Florida. On the nights that I don’t have dinner in the Crock Pot there is a pretty good chance it is on the grill. That means I am just in charge of side dishes, which is totally doable.
This Crockpot Mushroom Risotto is one of my new favorites to pair with just about anything. It is full of flavor and richness without being too heavy. Unlike many risottos this does not call for cream, making this recipe dairy free. Give this one a try. You won’t regret it!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (about 8 oz)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 3/4 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup dry white wine (or additional chicken broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Asiago or parmesan cheese shreds (optional)
- Fresh Italian (flat-leaf parsley leaves (optional))
- In a large skillet saute mushrooms, onions and garlic in olive oil over medium heat . Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until mushrooms are lightly browned and liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in rice an cook an additional minute.
- Dump the rice mixture to a 4-quart crockpot. Stir in broth, wine, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting about 2 hours and 45 minutes or on high-heat setting about 1 hour 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- If desired, top with cheese and/or parsley. Serve immediately.Dairy Free
- Omit the cheeseGluten Free
- Use a gluten free chicken broth
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 running her own business, homeschooling, and managing a household. She creates yummy crockpot recipes to help her spend less time in the kitchen and more time doing what she loves.