I love DIY recipes, and I currently have an abundance of tomatoes coming from my garden. Now is the perfect time to make your own pasta sauce in the slow cooker!
- 5-6 Large Fresh diced tomatoes or 1 - 28 ounce can whole Italian-style tomatoes, cut up and undrained
- 2 large carrots, coarsely chopped (2 cups)
- 3 stalks celery, sliced (1½ cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 large green sweet pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 - 6 ounce can tomato paste
- ½ cup water
- 1½ teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 ounces dried pasta, cooked and drained
- For sauce, in a 3½- or 4-quart slow cooker combine undrained tomatoes, carrots, celery, onion, sweet pepper, tomato paste, water, garlic, sugar, Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper, and bay leaf.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove bay leaf; discard. Toss sauce with hot pasta, or store in air tight containers in the fridge or freezer when cooled.
** Canning** You can also can your homemade sauce too.