This recipe looks, sounds, and tastes FABULOUS! It is one of my favorite kind of crockpot recipes. A dump & go. You can brown the meat for a little more texture or you can throw it in as is. Either way. This is what I like to call a man pleasing meal! It is full of meat & potatoes, and it is hearty enough to warm you right to your toes!
Bacon Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 4 bacon strips chopped
- 1-½ pounds beef stew meat cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 medium red potatoes cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1-½ cups fresh baby carrots cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ¼ cup medium pearl barley
- 2 cans 14-½ ounces each beef broth
- 1 can 14-½ ounces diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1 jar 12 ounces home-style beef gravy
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Mashed potatoes optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, cook beef until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the potatoes, carrots, corn and barley. Top with beef mixture and bacon.
- Combine the broth, tomatoes, gravy and pepper; pour over top (do not stir).
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir before serving. Serve over mashed potatoes if desired.