This recipe looks, sounds, and tastes FABULOUS! It is one of my favorite kind of crockpot recipes. A dump & go. You can brown the meat for a little more texture or you can throw it in as is. Either way. This is what I like to call a man pleasing meal! It is full of meat & potatoes, and it is hearty enough to warm you right to your toes!
- 4 bacon strips (chopped)
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 4 medium red potatoes (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots (cut in half lengthwise)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each beef broth)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained)
- 1 jar (12 ounces home-style beef gravy)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Mashed potatoes (optional)
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, cook beef until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the potatoes, carrots, corn and barley. Top with beef mixture and bacon.
- Combine the broth, tomatoes, gravy and pepper; pour over top (do not stir).
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir before serving. Serve over mashed potatoes if desired.
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 running her own business, homeschooling, and managing a household. She creates yummy crockpot recipes to help her spend less time in the kitchen and more time doing what she loves.