This post may contain affiliate links.
When you have kids, you see the world in a different light. Kids make all things possible, exciting, and adventurous; including food. My kids are currently little chefs wondering what they can create next. Their latest concoction? This yummy Crockpot Hot Cocoa Oatmeal!
In a large bowl, or right in the crockpot you are going to mix steel cut oats, hot cocoa mix, and brown sugar.
NOW, before you ask, YES you have to use steel cut oats. Why? Long story short, they hold up the best in the crockpot. If you use quick oats or any other type of oat, you may end up with oat mush, and you don’t want that. You can find gluten free steel cut oats online and in stores too!
Place your ingredients along with the liquid in a 4-quart crockpot on low for 6 hours. Before you are ready to serve, you can mix in some semi-sweet chocolate chips.
My little chefs were also quick to tell me that this wouldn’t be Crockpot Hot Cocoa Oatmeal without the little dried mini marshmallows. So, we sprinkled a few on the top, along with a couple more chocolate chips.
This isn’t a daily breakfast at my house, but it is fun for a special treat on a cold day. I can imagine that this would be a perfect way to wake up on a snow day, or any day!
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup hot cocoa mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salttoppings
- dried mini marshmallows
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Spray your 4-quart crockpot with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, or right in the crockpot mix oats, cocoa, brown sugar, salt, and water. Pour into slow cooker.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 6 hours or until oats are cooked through, and liquid is absorbed. Serve with chocolate chips and mini marshmallows.Gluten Free
- Use gluten free steel cut oatsDairy Free
- Use dairy free chocolate chips and hot cocoa mix