I am loving the bounty of apples all around me lately. We took the kids to pick apples the other weekend only to find out that one of my neighbors has a couple trees. I have been starring painfully as I watch the apples fall. I put it on my agenda to go introduce my self this weekend, and offer to rescue some of the apples before they fall. The best part is I have never had the pleasure of making all things apple because this is the first year we have lived far enough north for them to grow.
I took full advantage of my apples and threw them in the crockpot to make a homemade batch of apple butter. It is so amazing I am canning it for gifts! I am in love!
- 5½ pounds apples – peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well.
- Cover and cook on high 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 9 to 11 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
- Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour. Stir with a whisk, if desired, to increase smoothness.
- Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze.