Looking for a tasty vegan crockpot option or just something healthy?! Check out this Crockpot Quinoa and Vegetables recipe that turns out delicious every time!
Looking for some healthier, or even vegetarian crockpot options? Check out this delicious recipe for Crockpot Quinoa and Vegetables. This recipe is very easy to throw together and you will have a fantastic side dish or meal in no time.
If you are not Vegan or Vegetarian you can make this Crockpot Side Dish into a meal by mixing in beans or even grilled chicken to stretch it even further. Any way you cook it, this turns out delicious!
What Size Crockpot?
When I make this dish I use this Hamilton Beach 6 qt Slow Cooker. I find that it is my go-to crockpot lately. This recipe will fit in a 4 qt or larger crockpot.
Crockpot Quinoa Tips
When making quinoa in the crockpot it is important to add your ingredients but not lift the lid until the time is up. If you open the crockpot you are releasing heat and steam. This will extend the cooking time by 20 - 30 minutes (roughly) each time. So, don't open your crockpot.
When it comes to seasoning a dish like this it is hard to give measurements because everyone is cooking with different types of chicken or vegetable stock, different varieties of vegetables. My tip is to taste everything. Add a little garlic salt, or spice up your dish with a little turmeric. Don't be afraid to add some seasonings to mix things up a bit.
Crockpot Quinoa and Vegetables
- 1 ½ cups Quinoa
- 3 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 1 onion small, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet red pepper medium, chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 Cup green beans fresh, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon cilantro or basil; depending on your taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Additional spices garlic, salt, seasoned salt, etc (to taste)
- Rinse Quinoa
- Dump it into the crock pot. (I used 6 quart)
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to coat.
- Stir in broth, veggies, pepper and garlic. Reserve cilantro for before serving.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or on high for 2-4.
- The quinoa is done when you can fluff it with a fork and it is tender. Liquid should be absorbed into quinoa.
- Top with fresh cilantro and serve.
- You can mix in garbanzo beans or black beans to add protein to this dish and turn it into a meal