This is one of those great one pot meal recipes. I love it when everything is self contained. I got this one out of my Taste Of Home Cookbook
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 medium green pepper (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 can (16 ounces kidney beans, rinsed and drained)
- 1 can (15 ounces pinto beans, rinsed and drained)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained)
- 1 can (8 ounces tomato sauce)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauceCornbread Topping
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces cream-style corn)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, pepper and pepper sauce. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the eggs, milk, corn and oil; add to dry ingredients and mix well. Spoon evenly over bean mixture.
- Cover and cook on high 2 hours longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center of corn bread comes out clean.
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 running her own business, homeschooling, and managing a household. She creates yummy crockpot recipes to help her spend less time in the kitchen and more time doing what she loves.