This is one of those great one pot meal recipes. I love it when everything is self contained. I got this one out of my Taste Of Home Cookbook
Corn Bread Topped Frijoles
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can 16 ounces kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can 15 ounces pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can 14-½ ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon hot pepper sauceCornbread Topping
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1-¼ cups fat-free milk
- 1 can 8-¼ ounces cream-style corn
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, pepper and pepper sauce. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the eggs, milk, corn and oil; add to dry ingredients and mix well. Spoon evenly over bean mixture.
- Cover and cook on high 2 hours longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center of corn bread comes out clean.