I hit the store today to stock up on meat for the month. I like to go around the first and get several pounds of ground beef, chicken, etc and stock the freezer for the month. It really makes my life so much easier in the long run! Today on the other hand, I was a busy bee.
I broke up the meat into meal sized packs and froze them accordingly. I also made these Crock Pot Italian Meatballs. I love to make them ahead of time and pop them in the freezer. Then I can just dump and go on those busy days. Not only are they great for spaghetti, but amazing in meatball subs.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 12 ounces bulk mild Italian sausage
- ½ cup milk (or milk alternative)
- 4 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 24 oz jars marinara pasta sauce
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk and eggs until combined. Add ground beef, Italian sausage, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and garlic powder mix together until well combined.
- Heat broiler to high; place an oven rack about 4 to 5 inches from the broiler. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or oil. Using your hands, shape (about 40) 1 to 2-inch meatballs from the mixture; place on prepared baking sheets.
- Broil meatballs 6 to 8 minutes, flipping halfway through, until browned.
- At this point you can cool, bag, and freeze for a later day or transfer to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Top meatballs evenly with sauce. Cover and cook on low 4 to 5 hours in the slow cooker until meatballs are cooked through to an internal temperature of at least 160 degrees F.
- Serve with pasta, on a sub roll, or as an appetizer!
- *This recipe makes a lot of meatballs. Plan on freezing some, or cut the recipe in half.Gluten Free
- Use a Gluten Free bread crumb. I use crushed seasoned rice chex.Dairy Free
- Use a dairy free milk alternative and omit the Parmesan cheese.
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 running her own business, homeschooling, and managing a household. She creates yummy crockpot recipes to help her spend less time in the kitchen and more time doing what she loves.