Crockpot Whole Chicken Recipe
Create a rotisserie style roast chicken right in your slow cooker. Try this simple and tasty Crockpot Whole Chicken Recipe
The rotisserie chickens get me every time I go into Sam’s Club. It never fails. Sometimes, I want that rotisserie style chicken at home without a trip to a warehouse store. This Crockpot Whole Chicken Recipe is makes the most perfect, tasty, roast chicken right in your slow cooker. Plus, you can add some roast veggies to the bottom for an all in one meal.
Cooking a whole chicken in the slow cooker is not difficult at all. Getting a whole roast chicken that is rotisserie quality is an amazing feeling when you pull it out of your crockpot.
I used a 6 quart crockpot for this recipe so I would have room for the whole chicken and veggies. The trick is propping the chicken up in the crock pot. You can do this with vegetables like I did or make a ring out of aluminum foil to keep your chicken from touching the bottom.
I cut up some potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion. Plus, tossed in some fresh rosemary for good luck. Then, I sat my whole chicken right on top of the veggies. Finally I created my spice rub (see below) and rubbed it onto the chicken.
Just cover and cook chicken breast-side up for 4 to 5 hours on the high setting, or 6 to 8 hours on low.
Once your chicken is done let it rest for 20 minutes. This helps keep your chicken from drying out while keeping all the flavors inside.
Many times I will simply season my chicken or beef with the dry seasonings. This time I tried a new method and I love it!
In a small bowl measure out your chicken rub. This is the best seasoning for chicken, pork and more. I make a big batch and keep it in a mason jar in the spice cabinet.
Now in the same small bowl stir in 1 -2 tbsp of olive oil. It will create a seasoning paste that you will rub on the chicken. This helps the flavors really stick to the skin and absorb throughout your dish.
If you like your chicken a little crispy on the outside, or would like the skin to be more brown, you can pop it on a pan under the broiler for about 5 minutes. Keep an eye on it because it can brown quickly. Your chicken is already cooked, you are just crisping it up.
Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and cut it up just like you would a rotisserie chicken. Serve with the veggies that roasted in the crockpot or create your own delicious sides.
I love this chicken with a side salad when I am trying to eat more healthfully. It is also amazing with these Crockpot Green Beans.
Crockpot Whole Chicken
- 4 lb Whole Roasting Chicken
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Chicken Dry Rub click for easy recipe
- 8 oz potatoes Cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 onion cut into wedges
- 2 carrots cut into 2 inch pieces
- 6 stalks celery cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 spring rosemary
- salt & pepper
- Remove the giblets and neck from the chicken. Dry the outside and inside of the chicken with paper towels.
- Place vegetable in slow cooker and season if desired, or create an aluminum foil ring if not using vegetables
- Set whole chicken on top of the vegetables or ring.
- Create rub by combining olive oil and chicken dry rub in a small bowl. Rub this seasoning paste onto the skin of the chicken covering it.
- Cover your slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours or until the internal temperature of the chicken breasts are 160 to 165ºF.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and allow it to rest for 20 minutes before cutting to prevent it from drying out.
- Serve and enjoy