There is a chill in the air and soup is on the menu. Don't reach for a can, make your own homemade crock pot tomato basil soup with a few ingredients and your crock pot. You will never go back to canned again! PROMISE
- 3- 28- ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large carrots (peeled and finely diced)
- 2 medium sweet onions (finely diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled and left whole)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 10 basil leaves (plus more for garnish)
- Freshly grated Parmesan or sour cream (for garnish, optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.
- Allow the soup to cool slightly. Then puree in batches in a blender until very smooth. Serve immediately, or transfer the soup back to the slow cooker and keep on low until your guests arrive.
- Garnish with more fresh basil and some grated Parmesan cheese or even sour cream
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 running her own business, homeschooling, and managing a household. She creates yummy crockpot recipes to help her spend less time in the kitchen and more time doing what she loves.