A country breakfast that is perfect for any crowd. This Crockpot Biscuits and Gravy Recipe is insanely delicious and will fly off their plates.
There are a few things that are a must have at my house. A good plate of biscuits and sausage gravy from time to time is one of them. It never fails that if we go out for breakfast, or we are traveling the first thing my hubby looks for on the menu is this classic dish. This Crockpot Biscuits & Gravy Recipe is a must if you are serving a large family breakfast or brunch. It is perfect for the holidays or just because! I can't recommend this one enough.
Why the Crockpot?
For my neigh-sayers in the crowd who are going to ask why I would make sausage gravy and biscuits in the crockpot. Here is your answer.
- It keeps the gravy and biscuits warm and happy for a longer time to serve more lovely people.
- Perfect for enjoying after church or an early morning soccer game.
- (PERSONAL FAV) The biscuits absorb some of that lovely gravy and the flavors come together to make a heavenly symphony of flavors.
So there you have it. OH, and I didn't have to turn the oven on....so there is that.
What Size Crockpot?
This time around I used my Casserole crockpot. I will admit I was late to the game to purchase one of these. Mostly because I wasn't sure how it could be much different from my other crockpots. Well....I was wrong! I find myself using this one a LOT for cakes, casseroles, and really anything. The long, shallower design is really useful in dishes like this.
Now, if you don't have a casserole crockpot, don't panic. This works great in a larger crockpot since you need space for those biscuits. So I would go with a 6qt crockpot on this one. Or you could half the recipe for a smaller crowd and use a 4 qt just fine.
Short on time?
If you don't have time to wait, you can totally make the gravy, and bake the biscuits in the oven. Place the gravy in the crockpot, and place the baked biscuits on top. Cover and set your crockpot too warm. This will still allow the biscuits to soak up some gravy and keep everything hot and happy for serving. This is a super trick when you are trying to serve a hot breakfast or brunch to a crowd.
Crockpot Biscuits & Gravy
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 can refrigerator biscuits 8 ct
- In a large skillet brown pork sausage and break it into crumbles. Remove sausage from skillet and into a bowl, leaving the fat in the skillet.
- Add 2 tbsp of butter to the skillet and melt over medium heat. Stir in the flour to create a roux. Cook until golden brown. Whisk in the milk, salt & pepper.
- Heat the milk mixture over medium heat whisking constantly until it comes to a boil. The mixture will thicken. Remove from heat.
- In a large crockpot (preferably a casserole crockpot or 6 qt) pour in the gravy. Dump in the cooked sausage and stir.
- Open a can of refrigerator biscuits and place them one at a time on top of the gravy to form a top crust.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Keep warm until ready to serve.