Great for a quick and easy breakfast and perfect for the holidays! This Crockpot French Toast Casserole Recipe is delicious to wake up to!
I make this recipe every year for Christmas, and Easter, and every chance I get! Until now I made this in the oven but now it is a crockpot favorite! It is so simple to assemble this in your crockpot and pop it in for a sweet morning treat! You have to try this Crockpot French Toast Casserole Recipe!
What Size Crockpot?
This is perfect in a large crockpot (5qt or larger) or one of these Casserole Crockpots is ideal! This also makes a great dish to serve at a brunch or for after church on a Sunday. Pop it in when you get up and it is ready when you get home!
Yes, making this gluten free is totally possible. You can use store-bought gluten free bread or make it with this Homemade Gluten Free Sandwich Bread! Either way it is still incredible!
One more change you can make to this recipe is you can make it dairy free. Just substitute a milk alternative. My favorite is coconut milk. Also, use a dairy free margarine for the topping.
As far as the taste goes, the dairy free milk does not effect the flavor. It is just as good if not better.
Here are a few tips to have the best casserole around.
- Use stale or day old French or Italian bread. You can sometimes find this in your store's bakery for $0.50 a loaf or less!
- Dice the bread in 1 inch squares. This absorbs the milk/egg mix the best and settles nicely in the crockpot.
- Spray your crockpot with non stick spray.;..and then do it one more time for good measure.
- Don't over cook it. If you can't watch it, cook it on low.
- Mix ins! Stir in some added pecans, raisins, or even these cinnamon chips for added flavor! YUM!
MORE French Toast Casserole
We love this breakfast recipe so much we have made a few twists on the original.
- Crockpot Pumpkin French Toast Casserole
- Crockpot Apple Cinnamon French Toast Casserole
- Crockpot Strawberry French Toast Casserole
My personal favorite for Thanksgiving is now the Pumpkin version. With warm maple syrup....mmm. Serve this with a fruit salad, some bacon or sausage, or just by itself with a hot cup of coffee. YUM! It will be the hit of the morning!
Crockpot French Toast Casserole
- 1 loaf bread diced (stale works great)
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk Dairy Free Alternative can be used
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter or Dairy Free Margarine Softened
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Dash of nutmeg
- Whisk together eggs, milk and cinnamon and pour over diced bread in a large bowl. Cover an let it soak overnight in the fridge or atleast 4 hours.
- When ready to bake spray the inside of the crockpot (4-6 quart sized works best) to avoid sticking.
- Pour in Bread Mix.
- In a small bowl mix together butter, brown sugar cinnamon, pecans and nutmeg.
- Crumble of the top of the bread mix. Cover and Cook on low for 4 hours...or if you are in a hurry High for 2 hours.
- Let sit for 15-20 minutes and serve!
GLUTEN FREEYou can use a gluten free bread
DAIRY FREEUse Almond Milk or other milk alternative and a Dairy Free Margarine for the topping.
Originally posted September 2011. Updated October 2019.