These are my hubby’s favorite. While I am not a huge fan…I have a few in my house that LOVE them! The slow cooker makes it so much easier!
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 4 -6 slices thick bacon (optional)
- 8 cups collard greens , tough ribs and stems removed, torn into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup minced mild onion (optional)
- red wine vinegar (amount to taste) (optional)
- hot pepper sauce
- Rinse collards thoroughly before using.
- Remove any thick stems and tear or chop leaves into strips.
- Cook bacon in a skillet until the fat renders and bacon becomes translucent.
- Place bacon, with its drippings, into the bottom of the crock pot.
- Add the greens, ham hock, salt, pepper, and water into crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Remove ham hock, discard skin and shred meat, returning meat to crock pot.
- Serve greens with minced onion, vinegar and Tabasco, if desired.
Recipe and img Credit