A classic ground beef crockpot dinner recipe that is full of flavor. Try this Crockpot Shepherds Pie for dinner tonight.
Crockpots are a classic kitchen appliance that everyone should have in their cabinet. When you can pair a classic appliance with a classic recipe there is some sort of kitchen magic that happens. This Crockpot Shepherds Pie is that magic! This recipe melds all of the flavors together for a savory dish that is perfect for any night of the week.
What is Shepherds Pie?
Shepherd's pie or cottage pie is a meat pie with a crust or topping of mashed potato
The recipe has many variations, but the defining ingredients are minced red meat cooked in a gravy or sauce with onions and sometimes other vegetables, such as peas, celery or carrots, and topped with a layer of mashed potato before it is baked. The pie is sometimes also topped with grated cheese to create a layer of melted cheese on top.
What Size Crockpot
This recipe is made best in a 5-quart slow cooker or larger. I have even made it in a casserole crockpot, which works perfectly to give a nice mashed potato to beef ratio.
Need a dairy-free meal? This Shepherds pie is easily made dairy-free by omitting the cheese and using dairy-free mashed potatoes.
I love to make this Crockpot Shepherds pie with leftovers. I typically will put it on the menu plan after another dinner that had mashed potatoes for a side. Then, I am only making mashed potatoes once and can use them for two meals. (You can even make this Crockpot Mashed Potatoes.
You can also pre-brown ground beef in your crockpot, this is great when you buy it on sale. It is a fantastic way to prep for meals later on. You can even freeze the pre-browned ground beef in quart zip-top bags to mix into things like spaghetti sauce, make quick tacos, and more.
Crockpot Shepherds Pie
- 2 pounds ground beef browned and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 16 oz frozen peas and carrots
- 1 to 2 cups beef broth depending on how saucy you like your shepherd’s pie
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 to 5 cups mashed potatoes prepared
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese. optional
- Prepare a slow cooker liner with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and onions. Cook the onions until softened and stir in garlic.
- To the onions, add all ingredients EXCEPT the mashed potatoes and cheese. Stir together well. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker liner and spread evenly.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Remove the slow cooker lid and add the mashed potatoes, spreading into an even layer. Top with cheese and recover the slow cooker until the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
- Serve garnished with sliced green onions or alone.