These collards are my hubby’s favorite side dish! During the holidays my husband knows that I will make a batch (or two) of these Crockpot Collard Greens. This southern classic dish is made so much easier with the help of a crockpot. There is no reason not to put in a batch and give this delicious recipe a try!
Added bonus is that if you are currently eating a low carb or keto diet these delicious Crockpot Collard Greens are KETO friendly!
Use at least a 5-quart Crockpot for this yummy Crockpot side dish for best results.
You can enjoy Crockpot Collard Greens without some amazing Crockpot Cornbread to go with it!
Crockpot Collard Greens
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 4 -6 slices thick bacon (optional)
- 8 cups collard greens (tough ribs and stems removed, torn into thin strips)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup minced mild onion (optional)
- red wine vinegar (amount to taste (optional))
- hot pepper sauce
- Rinse collards thoroughly before using.
- Remove any thick stems and tear or chop leaves into strips.
- Cook bacon in a skillet until the fat renders and bacon becomes translucent.
- Place bacon, with its drippings, into the bottom of the crock pot.
- Add the greens, ham hock, salt, pepper, and water into crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Remove ham hock, discard skin and shred meat, returning meat to crock pot.
- Serve greens with minced onion, vinegar and Tabasco, if desired.
More Crockpot Side Dishes
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 running her own business, homeschooling, and managing a household. She creates yummy crockpot recipes to help her spend less time in the kitchen and more time doing what she loves.