This post may contain affiliate links.
These are my hubby’s favorite. During the holidays my husband knows that I will make a batch or two of these Crockpot Collard Greens. This southern classic dish is made so much easier with the help of a crockpot. There is no reason not to put in a batch and give this delicious recipe a try!
Added bonus is that if you are currently eating a low carb or keto diet these delicious Crockpot Collard Greens are KETO friendly!
You can enjoy Crockpot Collard Greens without some amazing Crockpot Cornbread to go with it!
Crockpot Collard Greens
Crockpot Collard GreensPrint Pin Rate
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 4 -6 slices thick bacon optional
- 8 cups collard greens tough ribs and stems removed, torn into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup minced mild onion optional
- red wine vinegar amount to taste (optional)
- hot pepper sauce
- Rinse collards thoroughly before using.
- Remove any thick stems and tear or chop leaves into strips.
- Cook bacon in a skillet until the fat renders and bacon becomes translucent.
- Place bacon, with its drippings, into the bottom of the crock pot.
- Add the greens, ham hock, salt, pepper, and water into crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Remove ham hock, discard skin and shred meat, returning meat to crock pot.
- Serve greens with minced onion, vinegar and Tabasco, if desired.