A southern classic especially during the holidays! Give this simple yet delicious Crockpot Collard Greens Recipe a try! The slow cooker makes them amazing!
These collards are my hubby's favorite side dish! During the holidays my husband knows that I will make a batch (or two) of these Crockpot Collard Greens. This southern classic dish is made so much easier with the help of a crockpot. There is no reason not to put in a batch and give this delicious recipe a try!
How to Make Crockpot Collard Greens
The biggest step is washing your greens and trimming them well. These can be sandy because of how they are grown, so washing them twice is a good idea.
Cook your bacon in a skillet, or in the bottom of your crockpot if you have one of those that multi-tasks with a sauté' option. You want to cook your bacon enough to render the fat. About ¾ of the way done.
Place the bacon, bacon fat, ham hock (bone), greens, and other ingredients in your crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. Enjoy!
Keto / Low Carb
Added bonus is that if you are currently eating a low carb or keto diet these delicious Crockpot Collard Greens are KETO friendly!
What Size Crockpot?
Use at least a 5-quart Crockpot for this yummy Crockpot side dish for best results.
Try this recipe with other greens like Mustard Greens or Turnip Greens. It works great for all greens.
Crockpot Collard Greens
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 4 -6 slices bacon thick, optional
- 8 cups collard greens tough ribs and stems removed, torn into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup onion minced, optional
- red wine vinegar amount to taste (optional)
- hot pepper sauce
- Rinse collards thoroughly before using.
- Remove any thick stems and tear or chop leaves into strips.
- Cook bacon in a skillet until the fat renders and bacon becomes translucent.
- Place bacon, with its drippings, into the bottom of the crock pot.
- Add the greens, ham hock, salt, pepper, and water into crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Remove ham hock, discard skin and shred meat, returning meat to crock pot.
- Serve greens with minced onion, vinegar and Tabasco, if desired.
Originally Posted in 2012. Updated in 2020.