Who knew that making your own yogurt could be so simple? Really all you need is milk, a small cup of yogurt for a starter and a little patience. You will be making your own HEALTHIER yogurt in no time.
My kids have actually gotten where they like our homemade Crock Pot Yogurt more than store bought. They can each customize their own yogurt cups to their own liking. Plus we save a little to the side so we can make the next batch 🙂
Homemade Crock Pot Yogurt
- 1/2 gallon whole milk
- 1 6 oz container plain unsweetened yogurt
- food or candy thermometer
- slow cooker
- 2-3 large towels
- Honey to sweeten if desired
- Pour milk into crockpot and cook on high. Heat milk to 180 degrees, checking with the candy thermometer. (This will take between 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours.)
- Turn off the slow cooker and allow milk to cool to 120 degrees (This will also take between 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours.) Measure unsweetened yogurt and allow to sit at room temperature while milk is cooling.
- Once milk has reached 120 degrees, mix yogurt into milk and stir gently but thoroughly.
- Replace lid and bundle crockpot with several towels. Set crockpot in an out-of-the-way place where the yogurt can ferment, undisturbed, for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Carefully unwrap crockpot and move crock to refrigerator to let yogurt cool completely. * Do not shake or stir–the less you disrupt it, the better it will set.
- You can add honey to taste to sweeten your yogurt. You can also mix in your choice of fruit, chocolate, granola, or coconut. Really whatever floats your boat.
- You can even save about 3/4 cup of your yogurt for the next batch you make.