Spice up dinner with this amazing Crockpot Gumbo Recipe! It is full of flavor and its perfect if you craving these cajun flavors.
I am on a new mission to let my crockpot do the cooking, and just sit back and enjoy. If I can’t afford a personal chef, I figure this is the next best thing. LOL. My hubby and I were talking about heading to New Orleans for a mini-vacay and all of the sights and sound of the city. That was all it took to get us craving this simple and delicious Crockpot Gumbo!
This recipe is easy to make and so full of flavor! I love a big bowl of this with a slice of warm crusty bread. Mmm…
The great thing about gumbo is you can add more spices, or omit and add ingredients as you desire. Take a minute to make it your own. This recipe is a great place to start!
What Size Crockpot
I recommend using at least a 5-quart crockpot (see my favorite crockpot right here) for this recipe. It makes 6 servings which is perfect for a family or if you love leftovers!
You want to store any uneaten Gumbo in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. This dish also freezes well. Just defrost, heat, and serve with rice when you are ready to enjoy!
Keto Crockpot Gumbo
Because Keto is a huge craze right now you can make this gumbo and serve it over cauliflower rice for a great low-carb keto option!
- 1/3 cup flour of gluten free flour mix
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 12 to 16 ounce smoked sausage sliced about 1/2″ thick
- 2 to 3 cups chicken diced cooked
- 1 1/2 cups okra sliced
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- cooked rice
- 1 tsp Cajun Seasoning
- In a heavy 2-quart saucepan stir together flour and oil until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for about 15 minutes more or until roux is dark reddish brown. Let roux cool.
- Add chicken broth to a 3 1/2 to 6-quart slow cooker and Stir in roux.
- Add sausage, chicken, okra, onion, green pepper, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
- Serve with hot cooked rice.
- Use a gluten free flour for the roux. I used rice flour.