Summers are so much fun to get out and enjoy the fresh air, the family, and just relax. But what about dinner? That’s what Crockpots are for right?! Check out this simple and delicious Crockpot Gumbo!
This recipe is easy to make and so full of flavor! I love a big bowl of this with a slice of warm crusty bread.
- 1/3 cup flour (of gluten free flour mix)
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 12 to 16 ounces smoked sausage, sliced about 1/2" thick
- 2 to 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups sliced okra
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- hot cooked rice
- For roux: In a heavy 2-quart saucepan stir together flour and oil until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for about 15 minutes more or until roux is dark reddish brown. Let roux cool.
- Add chicken broth to a 3 1/2 to 6-quart slow cooker and Stir in roux.
- Add sausage, chicken, okra, onion, green pepper, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
- Serve with hot cooked rice.
- Use a gluten free flour for the roux. I used rice flour.