Refried beans are a must have at my house when it is taco night. I would much rather make them myself than buy them out of a can. Plus they taste so much better homemade. I love this recipe because it is a dump and go kind of recipe. Everybody in and come back in a few hours to homemade goodness!
- 3 cups dry pinto beans (rinsed and picked through)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 1 yellow onion (peeled and quartered)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 64 oz low sodium chicken broth or stock (plus enough water to cover beans entirely)
- Place beans, chopped jalapeno, onion quarters, garlic, and seasonings into a slow cooker.
- Pour the broth over the top and stir gently. If the beans are not covered, add water until they are.
- Cook beans on high for 8-9 hours, checking occasionally and adding additional water if needed.
- Check for tenderness and then strain off the liquid, reserving it in a small bowl.
- Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding in liquid until desired consistency is reached.
- Place extras in freezer bags and pop in freezer for with meals another night.