Go into any Spanish or Mediterranean restaurant and you will find Paella on the menu. Typically made with a mix of chicken, sausage, and seafood, the rich flavors play off of one another for a delicious dish! This homemade version isn’t any different, just a bit easier to make! Try this Crockpot Paella for dinner tonight!
I love this meal because it doesn’t take long to throw together and it is a great date night dinner. My kids even love it because with so many ingredients everyone is sure to find something they like. This dish is gluten-free when you use a gluten-free sausage and broth which is perfect for those who have dietary restrictions. This is a must-have on our Summer menu!
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked converted long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can 14.5 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can 14 oz chicken broth
- 1/2 pound andouille or Spanish sausage cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed saffron or 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs about 1 1/4 lb
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas from 1-lb bag, thawed*
- 6 oz deveined shelled cooked medium shrimp tail shells removed
- Brown sausage and onion in skillet over medium heat.
- In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, mix rice and oil. Stir in tomatoes, broth, sausage, water, salt, saffron and garlic. Arrange chicken thighs in single layer over rice mixture. Sprinkle paprika over top.
- Cover; cook on Low setting 5 to 6 hours.
- About 35 minutes before serving, sprinkle thawed peas over chicken mixture. Arrange shrimp over top.
- Increase heat setting to High; cover and cook 20 to 30 minutes longer or until shrimp are thoroughly heated.
Gluten FreeUse a gluten free sausage and broth.