This post may contain affiliate links.
Go into any Spanish or Mediterranean restaurant and you will find Paella on the menu. Typically made with a mix of chicken, sausage, and seafood, the rich flavors play off of one another for a delicious dish! This homemade version isn’t any different, just a bit easier to make! Try this Crockpot Paella for dinner tonight!
I love this meal because it doesn’t take long to throw together and it is a great date night dinner. My kids even love it because with so many ingredients everyone is sure to find something they like. This dish is gluten-free when you use a gluten free sausage and broth which is perfect for those who have dietary restrictions. This is a must have on our Summer menu!
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked converted long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can 14.5 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can 14 oz chicken broth
- 1/2 pound andouille or Spanish sausage cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed saffron or 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs about 1 1/4 lb
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas from 1-lb bag, thawed*
- 6 oz deveined shelled cooked medium shrimp tail shells removed
Brown sausage and onion in skillet over medium heat.
In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, mix rice and oil. Stir in tomatoes, broth, sausage, water, salt, saffron and garlic. Arrange chicken thighs in single layer over rice mixture. Sprinkle paprika over top.
Cover; cook on Low setting 5 to 6 hours.
About 35 minutes before serving, sprinkle thawed peas over chicken mixture. Arrange shrimp over top.
Increase heat setting to High; cover and cook 20 to 30 minutes longer or until shrimp are thoroughly heated.
Use a gluten free sausage and broth.