Super simple dinner idea for those busy days. Try this Crockpot Salisbury Steak Recipe tonight!
This is a delicious comfort staple at my house. When you think of a warm, filling, homemade dinner, you should think Salisbury steak. At least, you should today! That is what I made. To make it even easier, you can make this meal in the crockpot! Now I have your attention!
I had a feeling this versatile meal would make it into the lineup before long. It is so simple, and satisfying. You can make this ahead and freeze. I love to buy those cheap aluminum pans from the dollar store for that purpose.
I adore cooking ahead. It gives such a sense of accomplishment to see all of the meals stacked up in the freezer ready to go. When you are making a meal for dinner, make twice as much and freeze one. Then you won't have to make the mess next time. That is a great time saver tip. Cooking ahead makes it easy to feed your family on those busy days without going through a drive through. You can feel like Martha Stewart without spending hours in the kitchen.
You can bake the Salisbury Steak in the oven, or do what I did this evening and throw it in the crockpot. I just put mine in the crockpot about 3 PM, and took the kids outside to play. I just mashed some potatoes, and opened a bag of salad and we were ready to eat!
That is my kind of meal. The kind that requires no attention, has easy cleanup, and everyone licks their plates clean!
What Size Crockpot
I love this recipe because you don't need a huge crockpot to enjoy it. This can be made in a 4 quart crockpot or larger slow cooker. If you are going to make additional steaks or double the recipe you need a 6 quart crockpot.
This recipe is very easy to adapt to a Gluten Free meal! You are going to need to switch out a couple ingredients for gluten free staples.
- Substitute gluten free bread crumbs or crushed rice Chex for bread crumbs
- Also use a gluten free gravy mix. This Homemade Gravy Mix Recipe works great!
- As always, double check your other ingredients to make sure they are gluten free.
This meal is so flexible! It is perfect with these Crockpot Mashed Potatoes. You could also serve it with a Crockpot Baked Potato too! Pick a veggie like these crockpot green beans or just heat up a frozen veggie of your choice!
Crockpot Salisbury Steak
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- ½ cup Bread Crumbs seasoned
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Egg
- Small Onion diced; about 1 cup (Optional)
- 14 oz Beef Broth or half a carton
- 4 oz Mushrooms Sliced & Drained
- 2 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon Water
- 1 packet Brown Gravy Mix or 1 – Jar/Can Brown Gravy
- Mix First 5 ingredients together and shape into patties about ¾ inches thick.
- Cook patties in a skillet turning once until brown.
- Remove from Skillet and place in crockpot or casserole dish.
- Add onion mushroom and beef broth; heat to boiling.
- Mix water and cornstarch together to make a paste.
- Add to boiling mixture with a wire whisk and whisk until gravy begins to thicken.
- Add a packet of Mushroom or Brown Gravy Mix and water packet calls for to gravy in skillet. Trust me, you will need the extra gravy (or you can add a jar of premade).
- I then poured the gravy over the meat patties and cooked on low for atleast 3 hours.
- You could also bake in oven at 350 for about 30 minutes.
- Serve with Mashed potatoes.
- Makes 4 servings…depending how hungry you are you?
- Use gluten free gravy and gluten free bread crumbs.
Originally published in 2011. Updated in 2019.