5 minutes of prep and only a few ingredients in this Crock Pot Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe! It is definitely a slow cooker dinner winner!
Sometimes it feel like I have cooked chicken just about every way possible in a slow cooker. Other times I stumble across a recipe that I have not tried and I am amazed at just how delicious it is! This Crock Pot Honey Garlic Chicken surprised me in a good way! With less than 5 minutes fo prep you can have a delicious meal in just a few hours. This tender, flavorful slow cooker chicken recipe is a keeper!
WHAT SIZE SLOW COOKER FOR CROCK POT HONEY GARLIC CHICKEN?
Before you start make sure you have the right size slow cooker for the job. As this recipe is written it calls for about 2 lbs. or 6 chicken thighs. I recommend at least a 5 quart slow cooker for that.
If you are going to half the recipe you can use a smaller 3 or 4 quart crockpot and it will turn out perfectly.
What to Serve with Crockpot Honey Garlic Chicken
This recipe is delicious alone or served with rice and some stir fry veggies. You can actually use your slow cooker to make rice! Check out this Easy Crock Pot Rice recipe.
Make it Gluten Free
This recipe is very simple to convert to gluten free. Just use a gluten free soy sauce. Most stores carry this right with their asian goods now. Also, make sure you are using a gluten free ketchup. Some brands are not gluten free.
- 6 chicken thighs (bone in or boneless)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- diced green onions (optional)
- Arrange chicken thighs on the bottom of your crockpot; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, honey, ginger, ketchup, soy sauce, oregano and parsley; whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken thighs.
- Close with a lid and cook for 4 to 5 hours on low, or 3 to 4 hours on high.
- Remove lid and transfer chicken to a serving plate.
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and/or green onions
- Use a gluten free soy sauce and ketchup
ChickenRegardless of the cut of chicken you want to use enough chicken to cover the bottom of your crock pot. You can also use chicken breasts.
Cooking TimeAll crock pots cook at different times and temperatures. Some readers suggest to only cook the chicken for 3 hours, while others said it took 4 hours in their crock pot. More importantly, 165 degrees Fahrenheit is the safe internal temperature for both the white meat of the chicken and dark meat.
Thicken SauceIf you would like to thicken the sauce combine 1 tbsp of corn starch with 3 tbsp water in a small bowl. Stir this into the sauce 30 minutes before the chicken is done. Cover and continue to cook.
More Crockpot Chicken Recipes
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 running her own business, homeschooling, and managing a household. She creates yummy crockpot recipes to help her spend less time in the kitchen and more time doing what she loves.